Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fashion Illustration at the Fashion Institute of Technology

I had to take a break from sketch nights at the Society of Illustrators as the course I wanted to do at the Fashion Institute of Technology was on exactly the same week nights. Happily, the FIT course helped me with sketching more than I could possibly have imagined so now I can't wait to go back to sketch nights! It's funny how things all turn out right in the end. It was great going to FIT and being amongst fashion design degree students, professional fashion designers and others with a passion for fashion illustration like myself. The longest pose was 20 minutes but these were rare. Mostly, the models posed for 3, 5 and 7 minutes. I was never a great one for sketching but I was forced to face my fears and JUST DO IT. Needless to say, I had a great time. It was an honor to have a tutor so talented who worked for Women's Wear Daily back in the late 60's early 70's alongside Paul Kenneth Block. He continued his career at a NY newspaper where he had to work really fast on a variety of illustrations each day. Sadly, those jobs - with benefits - don't exist anymore. I also learnt a lot from the incredibly talented and friendly students on the course.

Pin It Now!

No comments :